JH Band Audition RequirementsNotice to Directors
- Due to copyright laws, the photocopied audition excerpts are no longer posted on the website. The cycle list is posted below the chromatic ranges for each instrument.
- The audition material for wind instruments is excerpted from the INTERMEDIATE RUBANK METHOD book.
- The audition material for mallet instruments and timpani are excerpted from the AUDITION ETUDES book by Garwood Whaley.
- All audition material for Snare Drum is excerpted from the Basic Drumming book by Joel Rothman.
- Percussionists are encouraged to audition on all three instruments. Students must audition on Snare Drum and Timpani. Mallets may be auditioned separately or in addition to SD and Timpani.
- Mallets: Play the excerpt plus chromatic scale (Roll Up/Single Tap Down)
- For the Drum Audition, record the timpani, then record the snare drum audition.
- Cycle #1 Excerpts @ Marked Tempo
- Chromatic Scale @ 90 bpm (Slur Up/Tongue Down). Play required range or extended range. Trombone uses legato tonguing.
- Percussionists: Students must audition on Snare Drum and Timpani. Mallets may be auditioned separately or in addition to SD and Timpani. Mallets: Play the excerpt plus chromatic scale (Roll Up/Single Tap Down)
Cycle 1 - Odd Years - 2021, 2023, 2025, etc
Cycle 2 - Even Years - 2022, 2024, 2026, etc
|Instrument||Cycle #1||Cycle #2|
|Flute||Pg. 9 . 1st part of duet . pick up to m. 17 to end . mm=88||Pg. 6 . Etude #2 . All 4 lines . mm=100|
|Oboe||Pg. 13 . Etude #3 . All 3 lines . mm=88||Pg. 20 . Etude #5 . All 3 lines . mm=60|
|Bassoon||Pg. 13 . Etude #1 . All . mm=72. Take 2nd ending, end on 'C' before the D.S.||Pg. 18 . Etude #5 . All . mm q. =60|
|Clarinet||Pg. 19 . Pick up to letter D to the fermata m. 35||Pg. 50 . Andante Cantabile. Top part of duet from the beginning to the fermata high A|
(from Clarinet book)
|Pg. 13 . Etude #2 . First 12 measures . mm=108||Pg. 28 . Etude #3 . Play 2nd part of duet . No repeats . mm=120|
Alto, Tenor & Bari
|Pg. 13 . Etude #5 . All 4 lines . mm=88||Pg. 18 . Etude #5 . All 4 lines . mm=108|
|Trumpet||Pg. 32 . Gavotte . 1st part of duet . No repeats . mm=120||Pg. 44 . Austrian . 1st part of duet . All 4 lines . mm=88|
|Horn||Pg. 11 . Etude #2 . All 4 lines . No repeats . mm 120||Pg. 34 . Legato Etude . 1st part of duet . All 3 lines . mm 108|
|Trombone/Baritone BC||Pg. 13 . Etude #2 . All 4 lines . mm 120||Pg. 9 . Etude #3 . Beg to 3rd line meas 5 . mm=92|
(from Trumpet book)
|Pg. 12 . Etude #2 . All 4 lines . mm 120 (m.29 B is natural)||Pg. 8 . Etude #3 . Beg to 3rd line meas 5 . mm=92|
|Tuba||Pg. 14 . Etude #4 . All 4 lines . mm=104||Pg. 38 . Etude #2 . All 4 lines . mm=76|
Bells, Xylophone or Marimba
|Pg. 19 . Etude #1 . Last 3 lines . mm=120||Pg. 19 . Etude #2 . 1st 16 measures . mm=60|
Original Book (Revised Edition in parentheses)
|Pg. 49 (p.61) . lines 1-4 . no repeats . mm=100||Pg. 49 (p.61) . lines 7-10 . no repeats . mm=100|
|Timpani||Pg. 12 . Etude #1 . 3rd line to end . mm=120||Pg. 12 . Etude #2 . 3rd line, 2nd measure to end . mm=112|